A text editor is the software used for editing text files. They can be used to save down any text, make simple notes, letters etc, to edit and modify source files configuration files etc, To create programming source codes etc. There are wide use of text files in computers and Smartphone nowadays, so you always need a powerful text editor in you PC and Smartphone to do these tasks !
You can also use the office suites or office programs for opening the same files but most of the times office software are very heavy programs and much complicated for its use. For easiness of use, A text editor should be light and simple. It doesn’t need complicated options but at the same time, needs all the basic functions and should be much user friendly.
What a basic good text editor is that it should be having some common options like searching/replacing text, formatting text, importing files, copying/moving text etc. Advanced text editors include options for much better text formatting, styling and aids for programmers. But in smartphones, the need for such advanced facilities are less.
Anyway, here is the list of the 5 best Light text editors for android smartphones ;-
- Jota Text editor;-it’s one of the most popular and hit application on the android market and is a great text editing tool. Jota is a text editor designed for a long text file.
It’s pronouced as “i-o-ta”.
- Support until 1 million characters.
- Auto-Detect multiple character codes.
- Change character codes.
- Auto-Detect linebreak code.
- Change linebreak code.
- Keep linebreak code until saving a file.
- Save position of the cursor with file.
- Save history of recent files.
- Search a word in a file. (Support Regular Expression)
- Text sharing with external application.
- Scroll with Thumb-drag.
- Scroll with Flick.
- Support a Shortcut key with ALT/CTRL Key.
- Customize colors.
- Create a shortcut icon on HOME app.
- Customizable shortcut key bind.
- Text selector like Gingerbread.
(Double tap to select the word , then touch selected area to show marker.)
- Word wrap ON/OFF and set word wrap width.
- Set tab width.
- Viewer Mode.
- Show Line numbers.
- Word Counter.
- Support Landscape Mode correctly.
- Auto save.
- Auto Indent.
- Show Tab/Linebreak.
- Auto capitalize.
- you can used as SL4A editor.
- Support Android OS 1.6 or later.
- Support both touch-screen device and qwerty-keyboard device.
- Forever FREE and NO-AD.
- 920 Text editor920 Text Editor is a run on the Android phone a powerful text editor, anywhere, you can easily view or edit your code, you can also use it as e-book reader to open txt novel, it is like on Windows EmEditor, EditPlus so powerful.
1. Multi Tab, you can open different files in different tabs to facilitate you in a different text of this switch to edit
3. show line numbers
4. show blank characters (tabs, line breaks)
5. automatically detects the open file encoding, and you can also convert the current file encoding support: ISO-2022-CN, BIG5, EUC-TW, GBK, GB2312, ISO-8859-5, KOI8-R, WINDOWS-1251, MACCYRILLIC, IBM866, IBM855 , ISO-8859-7, WINDOWS-1253, ISO-8859-8, WINDOWS-1255, ISO-2022-JP, SHIFT_JIS, EUC-JP, ISO-2022-KR , EUC-KR, UTF-8, UTF-16BE / UTF-16LE, UTF-32BE / UTF-32LE / X-ISO-10646-UCS-4-34121 / X-ISO-10646-UCS-4-21431 , WINDOWS-1252
6. easy toolbar, you can quickly make a new file, open, save, save as, undo/redo, and some commonly used symbols, back to last edit location, etc.
7. list of recently opened files history
8. regular search, replace or replace all
9. change the font and font size
10. “Word wrap” switch
11. lock the screen orientation in: auto, horizontal or vertical
12. remember the last open file
13. hide the soft keyboard, long press the edit area can be turn on
14. long press the “edit area” you can convert selected text to uppercase or lowercase
15. auto indent
16. keep the screen in the awake state
17. you can run at ROOT permissions
18. easy’s file manager, you can delete or rename the file, or open with other application to view, copy/move etc. to manage files
19. use the volume keys to quickly switch the display/hide the toolbar, full-screen mode
20. preview the HTML file
21. power Color Picker
Ted is an Open Source, Ad-free, lightweight text editor for Android, meant as a Notepad application, and not meant to edit big files. You can create new text file, open existing files and of course save them. You can also display line numbers and open recent files. You can also search for text inside the opened file.
- Fling scroll (scroll to navigate for large files)
- Theme support
- Line numbers
- Word wrap
- Search tool
- Search wrap
- Search match case
- Automatic detection of end of line in opened files supporting Linux, Windows, and Mac
- Multiple encoding: ASCII, Latin 1, and UTF 8
- Install to SD card
The official Ted app is available on the Google Play Store
- Text Edit
Text Edit is an open source, simple notepad application to open, edit, and save text files to and from the SD card.
- open email attachments
- change font size, type and color
- delete/rename in file browser
- email as text or attachment
- Search using “search” button
A text editor built for Box OneCloud. Installing this app will allow you to create and edit text files from the Box app. Your files are automatically secured to the Box cloud.This is a fork of the TED text editor project.
All these text editors are ideal for your Android phone and can come in handy anytime ! Hope this would be helpful !