With the ban of 59 of the most popular and widely used Chinese applications, we have witnessed a sea of change in the application spectrum. These apps had become a significant part of peoples lives and their unavailability sure leaves a wide gap for several reasons.
If we look at all the apps that have been banned due to the privacy issues they cause, we see a certain trend that starts to show up.
All these apps were good at what they did and were really user friendly and were quite handy. Here we will discuss about some of the most famous of these bunch and suggest some great alternatives for you.
- TikTok: The most discussed and most missed of the apps listed for the ban is TikTok. TikTok has over the years grown to be a media franchise of its own, spawning innumerable fans and content creators. Being a highly successful content creating platform, its loss is quite impactful. It had started to become a haven for content creators with a lot of creators having a great fan following on TikTok. Its ban is still quite unbelievable. Several alternative applications for TikTok are available to download on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Some of the very famous apps are: Roposo, Chingari, Lomotif, Instagram Reels, Cheez, etc. Of these Roposo and Chingari are made in India and therefore a must-try.
- CamScanner: The app which replaced the concept of Photostats and became an essential tool for anyone working at an office to students. The scope and use of the camscanner is so wide that it quickly became widely adopted. For those of you books, papers or photographs and convert them to pdf for digital storage.
An Alternative to CamScanner would be one of the scanner applications by Microsoft or Adobe namely Adobe Scan and Microsoft Office Lens. One of the best Indian alternatives for CamScanner is FlashScan.
- UC Browser, DU Browser, and CM Browser: These Chinese browser applications has been around for a long time and have been used by Indians for a long time. It is one such app that has a lot of alternatives. Several browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge are available for you to try out. A famous Indian Alternative is the Jio Browser.
- ShareIt and Xender: When the words file transfer came to our minds, Xender and Shareit are the names that pop up. These apps are pretty useful tools to transfer large files over wifi without the internet. You can find several alternatives for these like Files by Google, Zapya, and our very own Jio Switch, of Indian origin.
- ES File Explorer: Files by Google is a great alternative to ES File Explorer. It’s lightweight and easy to use.
- Club Factory Alternatives: This shopping app has become famous in the past few years. Amazon is a great non-Chinese non-Indian alternative. Some of the great Indian alternatives to these are Myntra, Flipkart, Paytm Mall, and Ajio.
- WeChat: Alternatives like WhatsApp, Telegram are quite useful. Some Indian alternatives are Hike and Jio Chat.
When you look at the long list, you find more applications of varying genres like these with a lot of alternatives. All the Chinese apps that have been banned have replacements that have never got the opportunity to come to the limelight. We must encourage the use of Indian made apps to help our developer community grow with our support. In any case, privacy and security are key and if you are currently using any of the 59 apps, it is better that you uninstall them as soon as possible. Let’s hope that the developers either fix these issues and the ban gets lifted soon or more alternatives come up in the market which are better.