This has been one of the most popular debate online. Everywhere you want to download something, you can see at-least two three people talking this is the best and that is the best !! I am fed up with these arguments and so I am posting this based on my experience with these two popular Download accelerators.
Generally a download accelarator increase the speed of downloads by collecting from the fast servers or by splitting them or else. Whatever technique they may use, what we care is the speed, right ? IDM and DAP are the 2 most popular download accelerators on the web. So, when comparing them the most influencing factor is the speed they provide.
How I am comparing DAP Vs IDM ?
I am not comparing their speed by downloading a 100 MB file and calculating the time taken by dap and that by IDM. It won’t be accurate as the speed at an instant depends on many things like server from where you downloading, traffic at that time, speed of your connection at that instant, traffic at that server at the instant ….. etc. So I am making my marks on my observations and experience.
I have a 1 mbps connection with which i can get a decent speed of about 100+kbps approximately.
Which is the best Download accelarator – IDM or DAP ??
So let’s list the features, advantages and disadvantages of both IDM and DAP. Let’s start.
Download accelerator plus (DAP )
DAP is called as the most popular and free Download accelerator on the web and is developed by speedbit. Focusing on increasing the download speed DAP can increase the download speed to a great extend and has the ability to add many addons (in latest version) and all.
This is the first download accelerator I used and had used it for over a year. I get about a maximum of 200-220 kbps while downloading, but the average is about 120 – 140 kbps. Let’s check it’s pros and cons
- Light wight and Fast
- Increase the Download speed
- Accelerate videos and can download YouTube videos in a single click
- User friendly and simple Interface
- FREE !!
- Speed varies everytime, You can’t always get a constant speed
- Can only download flv videos from YouTube, Blind to other videos
- Can’t resume broken downloads – If your download got paused at 99%, You can’t get the file and will have to re-download it all again
- Can’t always withstand slight disconnections, easily errors while downloading
- It installs toolbar and sent frequent mails
Internet Download Manager (IDM) ;-
- Increases the speed upto 5 times (They say)
- The Speed is accelerated and maintains at a similar level throughout.
- Can pause and resume downloads, It’s a great feature if you want to download large files
- Can withstand and resume broken and interrupted downloads due to connection errors or unexpected shut downs
- Can download flv videos from Youtube and also from other sites
- User friendly and simple interface
- Can schedule downloads
- Other features like ZIP preview
- It had bugs in integration with chrome browser in the previous editions. ( Fixed now )
- It is NOT Free. You have to pay after the trial season is over